Monday 7 April 2014

Say hello to Ruth, she only speaks English


This morning I rose to another misty day. Light rain was falling as I got myself organised for the day. I'm kind of hoping for at least one miserable day just so I can see what it's like to be out in it with children. Jane assures me that as long as you are prepared for the weather and have sufficient clothing, it's all good. 

I enjoyed a fantastic buffet breakfast and waited for Jane in the foyer of my hotel. She is my chauffeur and guide for the next few days and I'm very thankful. Again I feel so privileged to have access to yet another skilled and knowledgeable person to guide me through this, to open my mind to the possibilities, to answer any question, quell any fear. 

We drove for some time through gorgeous country. It's very ordered and neat here and I love the prettiness of the country. It's very different from our wild and rugged Australian landscape (which I love with all my being), the greenness of this place is somehow calming and relaxing. We came to a small town and arrived at the kindergarten.

Laererden (translated to Larks Nest) is an old institution having been around since 1965 (so it's been around as long as me, I guess that makes me old). It's a big centre, with 26 children in babies group, 26 in nature group and 90 other children 3-6 years old split into six other groups. The classes are small and house thirteen children in each one. Each class has a kitchen, tables for eating, play areas and workshops. There is a large outdoor area for children to access during the day.

The head, Ruth, (pronounced Root in Danish) gave a brief presentation on the centre, its values and its structure. Everyone who is in the centre, children, parents and staff are expected to work within these principles and there is a lot of trust as well as high expectations of all. One thing that I really liked was that the children's learning portfolios were done 50% by the staff and 50% by the parents. This results in a record of the child's learning, interests and culture from both learning environments equally. 

Now what really interested me was the nature group. This group of 26 children have been signed up by their parents to attend the forest every day, whatever the weather. They either catch a public bus or treck there and back with their three pedagogues. Jane drove me to the site and I watched the children in wonder. There were no fences, only the rule that they must stay within sight of the main area. Some portable buildings have been erected to give them shelter if the weather is terrible and provide a place for belongings as well as a small kitchen. The children bring their own food. 


When we arrived the children were all scattered and playing peacefully in a sand/dirt pit, riding bikes, swinging on hand made swings, sitting at a picnic table, collecting flowers for making a head piece, and climbing trees. Some were kicking a ball around and it was very relaxed. At one point, the pedagogue, Jenny, whistled and everyone started putting things away and sat on logs around the fire pit. It was time for songs and to start home. Today they were walking and I was invited to join them. A little blond haired girl put her hand out to me, and I also took the hand of a little boy and we began this journey. 

Well little Edith chatted with me the whole way home. Her and Fri stopped regularly to pick up flowers, leaves, worms and a beetle. I was shown a giant snail. It didn't matter to them that I didn't understand a word they said and I just chatted back in English and sang a few songs that took my fancy. Every now and again we had to run to catch up, or skip. The sun was out and I was shown where some of the children lived as we passed houses in the community. It was a lovely experience for me. When we got back we passed some adults on the stairs and Edith said to them 'Say hello to Ruth, she can only speak English'. As this was translated by the pedagogue I was moved by Edith's obvious desire to make me welcome in her kindergarten. While the children changed out of their water proofs and jackets I went and sat on a couch with a book. Every room has a comfy adult sized couch to reflect homeliness. Soon Edith and some of her friends joined me. I showed them the book, 'Bambi' and in no time flat two children were on my lap, and two more squashed close. Edith snuggled in wholeheartedly as I told the story from memory in English. When they were called to snack time, they all lingered and I have to admit, so did I. I was very comfortable and in my element, even though there was the language barrier. Jane told me of a little boy who once said to her 'I can't speak English but we can laugh in the same language'. 

So it has been another very special day and I was thrilled to have been able to connect in a small way to these children, particularly Edith. Their capacity to be so social, to recognise that a visitor might appreciate being welcomed, to share a little of their world with me was a joy I will always remember. 

I have some photos to share, but will add them tomorrow. Right now I'm too tired. I bid you farewell, or as they say in Danish "hi hi". 

1 comment:

  1. I spent many years as a school photographer, & the most memorable moment was when I was working in The Japanese School at Terry Hills. Children of any nationality can attend but all lessons, except for P.E. & computer studies, were taught in Japanese. Like yourself, I felt connected with the students but somewhat left out of the jokes so to speak. Then, while changing a roll of film, remember film :-) something happened & the group behind me all started laughing & my first thought was, "Ha, they're laughing in English" as it was the first thing I understood all morning. A friendly smile will also communicate what words often can not, regardless of the language. To be with happy smiling children is a reward in any language.

    ReplyDelete