Sunday 13 April 2014

I've arrived in Fife

I'm in Fife. It was no mean feat getting here, let me tell you. After some significant drama and another lesson in resilience I find myself yet again alone in a hotel room with my luggage and my iPad, contemplating the adventure that this is, and enjoying the softening of the experience that a large glass of wine can bring. ( they serve large servings here which I think is about half a bottle). 

The trip from Denmark to here was not, for the most part, much fun. I got to Copenhagen airport by taxi in plenty of time and enjoyed a dark ale and a conversation with a fellow called Mike at one of the bars. I like connecting with people, and he was interested in what I was doing so far from home. It's always fun trying to share the concept of Nature kindergartens with people who have never heard of the concept or contemplated it. 

Then things went pear shaped. Long story short, my flight from Copenhagen to Brussels was delayed, giving me significant worry that I might miss the connection again. I didn't, I made it by minutes. Brussels airport has gates A and B and the journey to gate B that is reserved for connecting flights took nearly an hour. Knowing I was cutting it fine didn't allow me any time to take in the atmosphere, and the usual fug I'm in when trying to find my way around was another reason to walk around with an anxious frown stamped on my face the whole time. I did make it however, just in time to join the line to board and the next flight was without incident. 

Ok, so this is where the fun starts. I arrive at Edinburgh, get through customs and  start confidently to the car rentals. I walked the long stretch, a five minute walk outdoors, covered but still exposed and cold and don't forget I'm carrying and pulling over 30 kilos of luggage. The wind is arctic and whips my scarf all around my head. I arrive at the office where a gorgeous young girl serves me. She is chatty and friendly and so comforting, that is until my credit card is declined! What! Declined! It can't be. But it was, and I had no back up plan. They needed a secure credit card to let me take a car and I didn't have it. I wanted a car with a gps which was going to cost a huge amount extra, plus they said I needed insurance. It was going to diminish my scholarship funds considerably, but that was mute because my credit card was declined. Her tone changed from sweet and friendly to officious and professional. They could do nothing for me. So I caught a bus.

Panicked calls to the teachers credit union and my husband were to no avail. Nobody was open and once Graeme is asleep that's it until morning. I managed the .05 km walk from the bus stop to my hotel, all uphill and this time sleet added to the blustery winds whipping my face. I  got past the concierge without having to leave a credit card for security, got settled, showered and dressed to emerge back out on the street to find a meal.  I walked along a lovely ancient street where there were a fantastic selection of cafés and I chose one where two young fellas were playing and singing traditional Scottish folk music. I drank cider, ate salad and tried to relax. 'Live very moment' was sign posted on the door and it reminded me that every moment is precious even when things seem insurmountable. 



Sleep was hard to come by and I have to admit I shed a few tears in frustration and worry that night, but sleep I did. 

That restless sleep found me ready for breakfast the next morning. The breakfasts here have been amazing! I start with fruit and yoghurt, progress to toast and eggs, mushrooms, baked beans, then finish with a pastry or two. All this with lashings of tea and some times a coffee as well. Going home to Vegemite toast is going to be an adjustment. 

I got stuck into that breakfast with all my might, packed and left my room. I tested my credit card and found it worked fine. I bought a shiny new tom tom, I checked with the flight centre across the road about the car hire plan I'd paid for in full and was told I don't need extra insurance, and I caught a bus fully armed and ready to tackle whatever came my way. I got the car at no extra cost and drove to Fife. 

So here I am, in the hotel room, enjoying the quiet and settling in with a cup of tea and my new book. I'm looking forward to visiting the Secret Garden tomorrow. I'll let you know what I learn and experience. I will be meeting them at their forest venue, meeting new people and having the time of my life. 

Bye for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment