Sunday 6 April 2014

Dinner, conversation and ponies

So, how lucky am I? Last night I went to Jane Williams Seigfredsons beautiful house. Her lovely husband Keld picked me up, for which I was very thankful. They drive on the right hand side of the road here and I was constantly being alarmed, seeing oncoming lights in the distance and being on what I thought was the wrong side of the road. It goes to show that habit can't always be overcome by rational thought. I had to keep reminding myself that it was ok, I was actually on the correct side of the road and those cars weren't going to crash headlong into us. 

i was welcomed into their home with delicious food, red wine and conversation. We talked about pedagogy and curriculum as well as needlework and a little about politics. The food was devine and I can't thank Jane and Keld enough for their hospitality. 

Kel keeps two beautiful horses. They are fjord ponies and the prettiest horses you could ever hope to meet. He took me into his barn where there are lovely carriages that he has trained the horses to pull. Jane and I discussed at some leangth that the term 'breaking in' for horses shouldn't apply. They are not broken. A communication and respect develops so that horse and human can understand each other. I know from having kept a horse in the past that the bond that is developed is pretty special. 

So Kel took me into the barn. Ahhh the smell of horses! It's sweet and musky and earthy and I can't get enough of it. The first pony, a gelding called Monty, greeted me with such curiosity. He nuzzled me and let me place my head on his neck. I blew into his nostrils and he blew back. I was in heaven. Then I did the same with May, the mare. This small moment with these two gave me such a sense of well being,of calm and of joy that I reckon I would have come all this way just for that. My eyes moistened as I thanked Keld and told him how much of a highlight this one experience was. I can't explain this affinity I have with animals but it seems to be part and parcel of me. I miss my dog! 


No comments:

Post a Comment