Monday 21 April 2014

Cowgate Under Fives; First Impressions

I've been in Edinburgh now since last Thursday. I drove here from Fife and took a little time exploring one or two castles on the way. This place is jam packed full of wonderful history, stories from centuries ago that catch my imagination and pull me back to another time. Having scones with jam and cream in a castle is pretty special. I've yet to sample a high tea, but it is on my list of things to do. 

I've met a contingent of Aussie friends here and am sharing an apartment for the week. It's so great to be with people all day. I have been so well looked after in my travels but most breakfasts and dinners and quiet evening times have been spent alone. I was getting used to it and utilizing the time but nothing beats having someone to return home to and I'm relishing in the familiarity of good friends. 

The apartment was not chosen by me, but I was invited to join my friends here. I had no idea how far Cowgate Nursery would be from it and was googling maps, trying to figure out what sort of walk I would have in the mornings and afternoons. I was pleasantly surprised to realise that it is less than a minute or two away, down an alley called Old Assembly Close, just off The Royal Mile. I can walk to Edinburgh Castle in minutes, or to Hollyrood Pallace in less than an hour. The childcare centre is tiny, squeezed into an inner city space. What they have done to make their garden a special place is nothing short of amazing. 

Last Thursday I met with yet another inspirational and knowledgable practitioner. Lian Higgins is the Deputy Head of the Cowgate Under Fives and when I arrived in the morning she greeted me with a smile and an apology. They have just recently been under the stress of an inspection and are still recovering from the experience (sound familiar?). When Lian got my email reminding them of my immanent arrival in the next few days she was understandably flustered as they had had more pressing things to attend to. What impressed me was what I often see when I arrive at early childhood centres. People who are ready for the next challenge, armed with resilience and an ability to access coping mechanisms. As I arrived, so did parents, another staff member and children were adding their presence to the mix because they have free access to the office and foyer. This is their space. Liam listened with delight to a group of children, signed parents in, gave instructions to a staff member, greeted a new baby and welcomed the overseas guest. You know the drill, you've possibly experienced similar demands all happening at once in your own work. Within this busy hubbub Liam also accessed some information on the centre and was showing me some of their story, recent history and projects, as she continued to respond to everything else that required her attention. Soon the administrative officer turned up and Liam took me to an upstairs meeting area where we could talk. 

I've mentioned about my happy place before, and for the next two hours I was there, listening to what Lian had to share about their centre, it's philosophy, the strength and vision of the leadership, the theoretical influences that govern their practice and some of the many challenges along the way. It was an intense conversation with me worrying that I wouldn't retain it all, as I felt that taking notes would be an intrusion into this candid and sociable chat. I decided to relax and just take out of it what my mind would naturally retain, because that would be what was significant for me, what was firing my neurons and what resonated. 

So I was left with some very strong impressions:

Leadership and vision is vital to developing a quality education environment and enabling change
Froebel is a theorist who deserves more attention in my research  and my investigation. His work seems to scream EYLF in very big letters.
It can be done, with persistence, courage, support and determination. 
Staffing is vital. You need the right people that will share the vision. If you don't get it, you're better off somewhere else and so are the children (sorry to be so harsh).
Children deserve no less than the very best education in a child centered system
Early childhood needs to be an advocate for children as they embark on the next educational journey into formal schooling and beyond. 

Ok. I'll be back tomorrow with more on Froebel and on Cowgate. I just wanted you know that I haven't become lost in the dungeons around the castle. Talk tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment