Thursday 24 April 2014

Stickland


10:15. 
We are getting ready to catch the bus. I arrive in the foyer where the children have been gathering what they need for the day and getting dressed in their warm clothing. Teresa, the forest school trained practitioner has also been very busy gathering up all that is required for a happy day in the woods. Snacks, water, spare clothing and the like. As they are waiting for the bus they are singing a song

One two three
Kieran's ready, Kieran's ready
Bag and boots, bag and boots
Waterproof and wellies, waterproof and wellies
Thank you Keiran, thank you Keiran. 

Sung to the tune of Ferra Jacka. 

There is discussion about Stickland as well as singing the song for each of twelve children. Other children have joined in this gathering and are welcomed, although it's not their day to go to the woods. 

10:30 and we are on the bus. There are bags of supplies and a box of food. Children and educators are chatting away, noticing things in the city as we drive towards the woods. Some sit quietly watching out the window. I feel quite sleepy. The city gives way to wider roads and suburbs, with houses rather than tall buildings. 

We arrive at a green space. It's alive with trees, moss, birds and even deer. There is a community area where different groups have structures to support  their 'programs'. There's a tipi that the scouts use, a yurt used by the nursery school, some timber shacks and a fire pit. We stop in the yurt for snack.





11:00
It's time for an adventure. Teresa waits for the children to finish their snack, to be ready to join the group. Some children wander off nearby, others stand with Teresa. It's not until all have decided to join the gathering that they move off together. The first stop is the public toilet. Again children busily investigate the environs nearby while others use the toilet. There's no pressure or stress to be quick or no expectation that they line up or stand waiting. When everyone is ready we move to the next spot, decided by the children. All agree to head to the river. Here we negotiate steep paths, exposed roots, rocks and low branches. We go down a steep incline to the water below. Here we come to a bridge, a bit of timber that has been placed there. It only goes part way across and the children tentatively make their way, carefully placing feet on the wobbly timber, then onto rocks and logs to get across. It doesn't take long for someone to get enough confidence to place their feet in the water, then even less time for them to be splashing and wading. Such fun and some do get wet, but that is their decision and there are cloths to change them into later. If they choose to be cold and wet while on the adventure, so be it. 


The adventure continues. If children choose to stop, we all do. 


I watch Teresa respond to some conflict. One of the children hurt another with a stick. She was immediately there, speaking calmly, comforting the child that had been hurt, drawing the child that did the damage near, gathering all the children together to share in this. She pointed out how much it hurt, suggested what could help, listened to the child crying and was ready to listen to the other. The situation ended in a hug and I observed that child being  very kind to his peer for the rest of the day. 


This child was behind the group and I stayed with her. There was a big gap between us and the rest but we weren't hurried or pressured. She had a great interest in the flowers that grew on the forest floor.


Here are some images of the woodland play space. I played hide and seek in amongst the greenery and watched that little girl roll a flower into a squishy ball. Note the fine motor as her fingers work the gooey mass. Note the language as she says "this is going to be all gooey and mushy now". 


Me in my happy place again.


12:00
Lunch in and around the yurt

12:30 
I watched a small boy laying in a pile of dirt for about an hour. During this trip I've seen a lot of this: children getting as close to the earth as possible, as if they can become part of it. They lie down and soak it up. The earth embraces them. This child spent over an hour making a mound and poking a hole in it, very carefully, then looking through it. It was a work of engineering and a work of art. 


"The silence, only broken very occasionally by a lone bird call, spoke of peace & tranquility & as he lay on the sand, felt the earth reaching up to embrace him, to hold him as its own & to help him exist at that moment in harmony with it and all around him. It's rare to feel this comfortable & this connected" (something a friend wrote to me recently which I think fits well here).

1:30
Some children ran full pelt across the field to a play area. Others stayed near the yurt. 

2:00
Children were called together to reflect on the day, sing a few songs and get ready to board the bus

2:30 
Back on the bus. 

3:00
At the centre the children needed to change and put things up to dry. They then played in their rooms or outside. 

4:00
I met with Lynn at last, who is the head of the centre. We had a fantastic long discussion about her PHD research in transition to school. Lynn has followed the experiences and progress of children from Cowgate to the early years of school. We talked about children's and parents ideas and attitudes towards school. Lynn found that many expected certain things of school and a lot of it has to do with fitting in and conforming, which I thought was really interesting. When parents were asked if they would like their child to be seen as an individual or someone who fitted in, most said fitting in. Again, I could have spent hours discussing this but it was time for me to go and for her to get on with her busy day. 

I came back to the apartment feeling sad and a little lost now that my study tour was finally at an end, and increasingly daunted by the mountain of clothing spilling out of my bag, spreading and cascading like an Edinburgh mist, the result of my not being able to find my camera charger a few days ago. 

So now I have the trip home to face and the job of putting all this into some sort of sense to talk to my colleagues about on Monday at our preschool conference. Who's idea was that? Oh yes, that would have been me. 

Thank you for joining me on this journey. I have really loved having you all along, knowing that there are people from all over the world interested in this concept and my discoveries. My email is posted on the blog in my profile so please feel free to contact me if you'd like to. 

I may have a few things to share as I make my way home, but if I don't, see ya!

4 comments:

  1. Although it will be sad your journey has come to an end for yourself, it will be good for us because we will see your smile again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Jimmy. You are a sweetly. Yes and my feet are itching for a dance so I hope to see your smiling face very soon along with your dancing feet.

      Delete
  2. Dear Ruth,
    'A bit sleepy' (re the bus journey) quite an understatement considering your epic adventure.We are so glad to have been a part of your journey...the final fling!
    Just one thing re your 'timing'.At Stickland we do not wear a watch.Our children live within a fast paced capital city, many are 'sky dwellers'. Stickland is our children's opportunity to connect with our self,our own bodies, the earth, nature and each other.
    We are guided by the 'rumble of my tummy ....I think it must be time for lunch'.The energy we feel within our bodies, 'It's time for our adventure .....I can feel my heart pumping'.The phone call from our very own Stevie, the bus driver,who is always five minutes away !
    Thank you for sharing our wee adventure,connecting with our children and their wild place.
    Safe journey,
    love Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Teresa. Yes on reflection I can see that even I am overly concerned about time, even though I despise living by the clock. When I taught Kindy (what we call reception) I found the tight schedule very hard to adjust to, our whole day punctuated by bells and strict routine. Thank you for reminding me of the wonderful flexibility we have prior to school,and of the importance of that in our field.

      Delete