Tuesday 8 April 2014

Playing in the Forest


Today I played in the forest. Jane picked me up and we drove to Høndruphus Nature Kindergarten, Lindum. Again we went through beautiful scenery and I was pretty excited as we pulled off the beaten track and started heading quite deep into a forested area. The forest is private, but the public are given access and the kindergarten leases the land. They have been given the use of an old cottage and some sheds that are quite ancient, and these have been converted into a kindergarten space with the usual cloak room, fully equipped kitchen, dining tables and a small space for play areas indoors. The shed has been converted into a workshop which has tools, timber and work benches for serious making and construction.

As soon as I arrived I was warmly welcomed by the pedagogues. Being keen to plonk myself amongst the children, one of the staff followed me to the sand pit and began translating for me to the children. I was grateful for this opportunity and it really helped me to feel more like I was a part of the place and not just a stander by. Soon the children were gathered to start their treck into the forest. They sat together and I was introduced and the children learned that I came from Australia which is on the other side of the world and right at the bottom. They sang galoop went the little green frog in my honor, asking if I recognised the tune and I eagerly shared the English version and was applauded for my troubles. I really felt included. 

We followed a path into the forest and it was decided that we would visit a huge tree that had recently been brought down by a mini hurricane. This tree would have stood twenty or thirty meters before it's demise, and when it fell the root ball was still attached, forming a huge mountain for the children to climb and a trench and ridges and many interesting nooks and crannies to play in and discover. The children crawled all over the tree. It was slippery and there were one or two spills and a few scratches but the staff were nearby to comfort and attend to them and I was able to reflect on the need to give children exposure to risk. One child fell a bit of a distance onto his back and his boot was caught and twisted in a root that he'd been riding like a horse. He was immediately attended to and helped up and comforted. The fall hurt, but it was a valuable lesson. Bitten the head, was keen to elaborate. He learnt about the need to be more careful when it's been raining and when it's slippery. He learned that a fall can hurt but that there are people nearby who care and that the hurt will go away and he will be ok. He learnt about the value in taking risks because it's going to be fun, and the need to take special care in certain conditions. All this builds for children who are not risk averse and this knowledge helps to keep them safe as they become more and more skilled, try ever more challenging activities and learn how to negotiate risks. Studies have shown that children who are overprotected are actually at more risk of more dangerous accidents. The little bumps and bruises that children attain in early childhood are good for them because they can prevent the major breaks and even death that comes from inexperience, bravado or peer pressured risk taking as teenagers. Interesting stuff. 



Look at that chappy way up high. 

The little boy I'm talking to in this picture was quite interested in the spiders we have in Australia. He asked if there were spiders that can kill you and with my iPhone I showed him an image of a funnel web and told him that sometimes I get them in my house and that I take them outside. Then I showed him an image of a huntsman that is not dangerous and I told him about Berty: the name I give to huntsmans  that find their way into my home and become loved pets. Through a pedagogue translating we had quite a long conversation and he asked many questions. 

When we returned the children changed and ate a packed lunch. There was a group time where Bitten read them a story about a koala who was getting too big to sleep in his mothers pouch so found a sleeping kangaroo and crawled into her pouch. The story had a variety of Australian native animals in it and  as she read, soft toys of Australian animals were taken out of a bag and shown to the children. It was touching to have my homeland honored through story and again I felt a wonderful sense of belonging. 

Bitten explained some of her philosophy to me and all this can be found on their website, which you might like to access. It has an English page. http://www.hoendruphus.dk/Forguests.html

I was greatly inspired by what I saw today. As we went outside before leaving I was shown around the extensive outdoor space that the children have access to. It includes three large goats and the biggest rabbits I've ever seen. Also also chooks. These are cared for by the children and the staff. There are play areas that contain challenge, promote socialization and imagination. There are garden plots, hides, swings and trees to climb. Everywhere I looked children were highly engaged and pedagogues were amongst them in their learning. 

There are plans to extend the play areas and develop more play spaces. This is something Bitten has encouraged all to have a say in so that all voices can be heard and acknowledged. It is also an opportunity for the pedagogues to embrace what they are passionate about, because it is through this that children's learning is optimized. 


4 comments:

  1. These learning experiences never existed when I was the age of these children, as at my age, I'm positively prehistoric, ha ha. There is no way technology can ever replace the learning experiences that these children are having. Even the timid souls will be coaxed out with the right support from peers, parents & pedagogues alike. I almost envy their environment & it makes me reflect on what I might still be missing out on as an adult, and what I could possibly still learn by taking myself back out into nature & experiencing it as these children do.

    Whilst not an educator, I can, as a grandparent still see the benefits to be gained by doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am in the 'older' bracket, Craig - a granny. These experiences reminded me of my own childhood where we were free to roam, play, climb, swim, ride (bikes and horses), play street sports with the neighbourhood gang, make our own fun and adventures and took responsibility for our actions from a relatively early age, and in doing so, gained independence. No preschools back then, larger families and growing up in the bush (country towns) may have contributed to a more carefree childhood where resilience grew naturally alongside our freedom. Today's world is vastly different - not better or worse, however, it is wonderful to know that alongside the multitude of changes in the lives of today's children, such as the wealth of technology, small back yards, organised events such sports, music lessons, tutoring etc, 'quality' family time, and mum and/or dad being ever present, that the opportunity to play and explore without too much intervention from adults is recognised as important. I read that a child of eight in Australia today has never been safer. Eight year olds are at less risk of any form of harm (accidental or intended) today, than at any other time in Australia's recorded history...... but resilience, responsibility for their own actions and independence has been the cost. On ya Ruth and preschools offering this wonderful opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayle. I grew up in the "wilds" of the inner west of Sydney, Earlwood to be exact. Back then there were still areas of scrub along the storm water canals at the end of the side street beside our house. This was my bush. There was also a rock escarpment nearby that I was always climbing. These were the areas where we learned self reliance & to make conscious decisions about risk. I believe these are the lessons that are the most valuable & I agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts on today's eight year olds'. I have grandchildren & step grandchildren that range in ages from nine months to eleven years. Technology is all around them & I marvel at my five year old grandson & three year old grand daughter's ability to manipulate it almost without thinking. There is a never ending round of organized sports & activities for the eleven year old but honestly, I don't think that this gives her anywhere near the experiences that the children in these centers are receiving. Children are far more resilient than we give them credit for sometimes but as a parent, our desire to protect them can actually be detrimental to their development when it comes to the development of their self reliance. A kiss & a hug for comfort & reassurance & a dusting off is often all they need to 'get back on the horse" & continue to learn.

      Delete
  3. Since working in early childhood I often regretted that I never got to go to a preschool. I thought it would have done me wonders and maybe it would have, but more recently I'm thankful because my early childhood education was spent a good deal up the back in the wilds of our property in Baulkham Hills. Weekends and afternoons were pretty special with four big brothers and sisters and a multitude of cousins as well as neighbors kids all getting outside and dirty until the street lights went on and we were called home from front verandas. Until recently I didn't realise that this was learning in its purest form. Thank you Craig and Gayle for your comments. It's wonderful to see your reflections and thoughts shared here.

    ReplyDelete