Tuesday 22 April 2014

Day two at Cowgate

I've been spending a bit of time in the outdoor and indoor play spaces this morning. I've met quite a few of the early years practitioners and have been interested in their professional journeys. Two that I met have been here for many years. One for over twenty. I know that Cowgate was a fairly regular nursery back then and I was interested in the impact of the changes that the staff have experienced. Both these ladies described a different educational environment in the past.  It was quite structured and children were directed in their learning and routines by the adults around them. I asked what they preferred and both were emphatic that the way it is now is greatly preferable. These days the children are given choices, listened to and encouraged to have ideas about how they want to spend their day and learning. They spoke of the improvement they have observed to children's learning in general and how pleasant it is for the staff to listen to children's ideas and support children in 'going there'. If something goes wrong, well that is part of the experience. Children are given autonomy, but it doesn't happen without some structures  and routines. These still exist and function, but they are within a policy of choice. Children are invited to join group, and encouraged to take part but if they choose not to then that choice is respected. The other thing that struck me was the ability of these staff members to so confidently articulate what they know about children and learning and what it is that brings about great outcomes. There is only one qualified teacher at the centre, so anyone else I talked to had varying degrees of qualification, yet were very capable of sharing their knowledge and expertise. 

I watched a very small child, about eighteen months or maybe two, experimenting with a puddle. He jumped and splashed and kicked at the water. He was asked if he might need his mackintoshes on, but he kept splashing away. He was asked again and his response was to jump again into the puddle. He was wearing joggers and regular trousers, they were soaked and it was very cold but this wasn't a concern to him, obviously. I liked the way that the early years practitioner respected this choice that he was making. After a while and after some more encouragement he went indoors with a carer to get on the appropriate gear, but it was ultimately his choice. 

Something else that has caught my attention at Cowgate is the development of the outdoor play space. I was shown some photos of the area prior to 2008. It was stark concrete with the addition of a few portable climbing frames that were taken out and in each day. The leader of the centre, Lyn, had a vision and this was realized by her and other staff in the centre. The transformation is nothing short of amazing. What can you do with concrete? It is impossible, isn't it? To create a living space out of something so dead as concrete? 

Well no, it appears that this is not the case. Much can be done. They transported in great mounds of soil, sand and mulch and created a beautiful environment with loose, natural and open ended materials. The addition of garden furniture, potted plants, gardens, cubbies and musical instruments combine to make it a place to explore and investigate. 

I have much more to share about my day but the hour is late so I will take this up tomorrow. 

Bye for now. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth

    It was lovely to meet you - albeit briefly! - in Cafe Nero this morning. I hope you enjoyed the day at Stickland - it's a very special place.

    I've been a parent at Cowgate for nearly 4 years and my two children have had a truly wonderful experience there. We discovered it after the publicity following their 2008 inspection and were on the waiting list for over 2 years before our places became available. We are hugely grateful to have been able to place our children in such a special nursery and they have flourished. As you comment, the staff are highly skilled and create an environment which truly nurtures the children, allows them lots of freedom and individuality, values creativity and nature, and encourages autonomy and self regulation. In addition, the centre is constantly developing and aiming to improve, always using the children's views to shape change.

    I mentioned the Unicef Rights Respecting School Award work with which I am involved and I can send you more details on this if it would be of interest.

    Best wishes

    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gemma. It was so great to meet you too, and very fortuitous, as Jane had just seen you on your way to nursery and saying what a shame it was we hadn't had time to meet and talk. When you were there in the cafe I was so pleased to at least make a connection, even if we didn't have time to chat for long. Thank you for commenting on my blog. I think that a parents perspective is most important. I have interviewed parents along the way and will be adding their perspectives once I have time to do justice to what they had to say. \
      \
      I would be most interested in the work that you are involved in. My email is posted on the blog so feel free to send anything you can. \
      \
      Tell me, did your two children attend the Forest School program? How do you think that supported them in their learning? Also, how did you children transition from the freedom and child centered approach at Cowgate to the more formal structures of school? }

      Delete
  2. Hi Ruth
    This is a lovely example of the evolution of a centre both physically and from the tecahing and learning perspective.

    Enjoy your last few days

    All the best

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pam. Yes the possibilities are wonderous aren't they? It took time though and a big vision. Also, I forgot to mention that it was designed by the children.

      I'm on my way home now, trying to add things to the blog before my flight to Sydney via Seoul. I'm likely to get so engrossed I might forget to get to my flight. It's leaving in about two hours. Be great to see you soon.

      Delete