Monday 24 March 2014

The joy of mud

http://www.mindstretchers.co.uk/Auchlone%20Nature%20Kindergarten.cfm

What an awesome day! I got up early (5:30am) as sleep alluded me. It's cold here, but the day dawned fresh and clear with sparkling blue sky. I enjoyed a wonderful breakfast then started for Crieff. I didn't get lost which is always a relief and arrived at Auchlone Nature Kinder after a ninety minute drive through scenic countryside.

As soon as I walked in the place I felt at home. I was greeted by friendly staff and confident children. Kate met me at the gate,  covered in mud and as I shook her hand the mud and dirt was shared with me. I felt like I could really fit in here. She'd been out the back working on a joint project to create a swampy play space. Recent rain has turned some of the playground into a bog. Now I've come across many situations back in Australia where that would be a cause for concern. What to do? Mud must be tamed, turned into a respectable thing, or avoided at all costs. Not here! They turn it into a play swamp and build a log swing with curling rope, thrown over a tree branch for children to swing on, to test their skills and problem solve so that your bottom slides through the gooey mud at just the right moment. I watched two boys, old hands at this, discuss the situation, heft and pull and carry that swing up to the top of an incline, and the joy shared in swooping downward, the flexing branch allowing for a bounce and a slide. Laughter and satisfaction at the patch of mud on their bottoms as they made contact. It was beautiful. Nobody stopped them, told them to be careful, or warned them to keep clean. They were able to delight in the sensations to their hearts content. What were they learning here? Well I'm sure you can find an answer to that.

I'm always harping on about finding the significant thing that happened that day, and that is what you document, so I'm going to heed my own advice and leave it at this. There was a lot more that happened today, I could write for hours, but this one story tells it all.

I do however, want to take this opportunity to thank the University of Woollongong for their sponsorship of this study. I will be forever thankful of this opportunity. It's only day one but I'm beginning to get a sense of what I'm in for. A whole month of inspiration and learning amongst leaders in early childhood education.

So I've managed to stay awake until evening and now I am looking forward to a full nights sleep before I embark on more adventures tomorrow. My husband just called and he's on his way to work as I consider hitting the sack.

Talk tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. I remember getting a spanking, along with all of my friends, from my Kindergarten teacher way back in the 'olden days' for becoming mud monsters during a wet, wet lunch time. In spite of the mud up to our waists we couldn't work out how she knew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahh that's funny that she found out! She must have had special powers.

      Delete
  2. Wow! A spanking! That was harsh. I got a spanking once at school for spelling 'they' incorrectly. I spelt it 'thay' which still to this day makes more sense. So were you cured of your love of mud?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, I am so very jealous! I was fortunate enough to visit Auchlone on a study tour last year and desperately would love to spend the amount of time that you are there, unfortunately that will have to wait until I have enough funds to do so.

    What is the focus of your study?

    I look forward to following your travels over the next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suz. I just had a look at your blog and enjoyed reading about your insights and wonderings.
      I think the main focus for my tour is to discover how this concept of nature kinders can be incorporated into our context in the Western Suburbs of Sydney. I want to make clear links with our frameworks and be in a position to influence change. Of course, it's early days and this focus might change, but that is what I originally intended to do. I wanted to join a tour last year but my scholarship had to be completed between January and June this year, so I missed it. I was very disappointed at the time but I think you're right. Doing it this way I'm getting to spend long hours in the zone, just being with children in the wild. I'm loving it, especially the opportunity to make friends with those that I'm seeing each day. Please keep posting your thoughts and experiences, I'm sure you have much to share from your own learning journey.

      Delete
  4. I can just picture you there Ruth! You are painting wonderful pictures with your words. Looking forward to the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Pam. I'm enjoying this opportunity to write and ramble on to my hearts content, and it's great to get posts from friends who are interested. I'm one happy chick right now. I'm about to go and enjoy breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ruth. As one of the few non teaching followers of your adventure what I seem to see with the two boys was a spirit of co-operation & a desire to improve on learned skills to influence a better outcome for their activity. I came through a very rigid school system & my learning & discovery was done on my own time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that was what many of us experienced in our formal education but at least in our generation many of us had long moments of discovery outdoors once out of school I don't know if kids today get that. What I'm coming to realise here is that those moments, that freedom, when made available is valuable learning. There is a depth to it that formal styles of education can't reach.

    ReplyDelete