Sunday 30 March 2014

Dinner, conversation and a hot tub

I spent the day yesterday (Saturday) driving from Crieff to Tyne in the North of England. I travelled over gorgeous countryside, all green fields and ancient cottages, sheep and cows. The traditional English countryside that many of us are familiar with from childhood scenes of farms in picture books. The world of Peter Rabbit. 

I have a strange problem where a drive renders me sleepy, especially if I'm behind the wheel, so I had to take lots of breaks and catch a kip every now and again. The four hour journey took over six hours, but I had something to look forward to when I got here. Sue Stokoe, the head teacher of Boldon Nursery School had invited me to her house for dinner. She was concerned that I might be lonely. I am sometimes lonely but there's lots to keep me connected to my friends, family, colleagues and various acquaintances while I'm here through technology. This blog is one way and I get very excited when I see a new comment, it connects me to the people I know and has introduced me to new people too, who have an interest, not so much in me but in what I'm exploring. A shared interest in this concept. However, it can't compare to real conversation over good food and a drop of wine. 

Anyway, a meal with Sue and her husband was something to definitely look forward to, and then she asked if I'd brought swimmers to this cold place. I replied that I never went anywhere with out them, so she said we'd jump in the hot tub after dinner. Woo hoo! I love hot tubs! 

I arrived at Sue's by 7pm, after being on the road since 12pm. I was tired but that didn't matter. As soon as I met her I knew I'd discovered a kindred spirit. To invite a complete stranger into her home was an extraordinary thing to me and something I often think of doing but haven't the confidence to see through. I was introduced to her family, her husband Keith and sister Julie and we began the evening with a glass of red wine. Sue cooked her very first vegetarian meal especially for me and it was delicious. I was provided with a fluffy robe and slippers and we all spent a good few hours simmering in the tub before attacking a delicious raspberry pavlova. What a night! 

Julie, Sue's sister had also joined us and the conversation, of course, was mostly about our work and our aspirations for children, communities and families. Keith and Julie had lots to offer on their perspectives of what is right for children. The transition from a nature kinder to school is a topic that has come up quite regularly this past week, and I was very interested in Sue's response to my question "What happens when they get to school". I wished I had recorded what she said, I'd write it in stone or put in a book of quotes, or make it into a poster. I got goose bumps hearing her say the very words I aspire to. I'll try to get it down here now, but be aware it's a poor translation and I was at least two glasses of wine down when I heard it. She said something to this effect:

"What we have given children at Boldon Nursery has given them skills for life. They are ready to take on the world, take on the next challenge. They have had a year of developing confidence in themselves as learners. Their parents have taken this on and if the school starts to comment on any difficulties the child is having in adjusting the parents do the questioning. They ask what the school is doing to accommodate their child's activity level, interests or ways of learning"

Wow! How good is that? to have developed an early childhood program that empowers parents to ask the hard questions. 

I crawled into bed at 1am in the morning, very inspired, very relaxed, and very happy. Thank you Sue, Keith and Julie for a wonderful evening. You are beautiful people and I feel very privileged to have had this opportunity to get to know you on a personal level. 

I will leave you with a couple of photos from our evening. 




3 comments:

  1. Your photos made me laugh and smile! A hot tub without fairy lights just wouldn't be a hot tub! Where oh where is a floating wine glass holder???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! That's so sweet, Ruth. I'm glad you feel that way about your readers. Your posts are so endearing, as always. Anyway, I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed dinner at Sue's. Dipping on the hot tub must've been really nice. Also, Julie's aspirations for children is amazing. That's definitely one of the best ways to improve a child's learning process. Thanks for sharing that! Take care! :)

    Silvia Morris @ Claudette’s Pools and Hot Tubs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sylvia for making a comment on the blog. You put a smile on my face as I remember that magical night, and it's always exciting to hear from people around the world.

    ReplyDelete