Saturday 22 March 2014

Imagine this. Hurtling through the air in a narrow tube, with hundred of others all packed tight. They keep you calm with smiles and offers of refreshments. Lights off and movies to entertain and most of the time you forget that you are trapped inside. You forget that your life is in the hands of computers, a machine and the slippery fingertips of the pilot. 

But sometimes. . . you forget that this is possible, doable, happens all over the world for thousands with no hiccups. Sometimes you forget that it's more dangerous, really, to walk down the road. Every now and again you realise that you're in immanent danger and that it's impossible for those fragile wings to keep the craft afloat on invisible air currents.

Only sometimes though.

Most of the time it's very enjoyable. The initial thrust as the machine powers you up and away, the feel of air beneath the wings. Even the turbulence can be a bit of fun, getting bumped around.  Being forced to sit and be still for hours on end is a novelty. Hmm what to do? Nap? Read a new book freshly picked from the airport? Watch a new release movie (how long since I've been to see a movie or had control of a remote)? Or maybe write a little and get started on how to share this adventure with you? 

Nine hours is a long time, and that's just the first leg. 

Let's begin with why I'm here.

Despite an intense fear of being lost (yes my one phobia) I decided to try for an adventure. I thought it might be worth a try to apply for the nsw premiers teachers scholarship. I'd been putting it off for years, not believing I had it in me to write the initial submission, let alone complete the study. But a few years as an early childhood consultant with the support and encouragement of my colleagues gave me cause to believe in myself. Studying for a Masters in Educational Leadership gave me new found confidence in writing. Working with early childhood teams and learning alongside preschool staff helped me to see the possibilities: opportunities to learn from others and a sense of what can happen when you discover a passion and follow it through. 

So here I am. I have lots of interests within the field of early childhood as well as personal ones. Early on in this role I went to a seminar. I was very excited to be in a position to even be able to go to seminars, remembering well that I was only ever entitled to one day off class for professional learning and usually having to fight for it when I was a teacher. Now here I was going along to something that was relevant, interesting and that all I had to do to attend was ask. I remember a fair bit from that day. It was about the global village, that it takes a village to raise a child and that community is a vital aspect of a child's growth and development. One thing in particular that stood out was when we were all asked to stand up and remember our favorite childhood place. 300 people stood, closed their eyes and were transported back in time. Then we were asked to sit if that space was indoors. A few sat. Then we had to sit if that place had adults hovering, and quite a few more sat. Finally we were asked to sit if the place was man made. It left about a third of the participants standing, me amongst them as I recalled the hours I spent amongst three giant willows in a dried up dam in our front yard. Those willows were my house, my pet dragon, a swing and a pirate ship. They housed my imaginary friends and they, along with my human and animal friends joined me on many adventures. Imagination was a prerequisite to enjoyment in, on and amongst those trees. 

Imagine asking children of today in ten, twenty or thirty years to recall their favorite childhood space. How many would be left standing at the conclusion of the three questions?

So that's what I'm doing here. I'm going to learn what I know instinctively, that young children learn best when they are given time, space and opportunity, long moments of it, to explore, imagine, solve, examine and play, and that all this can happen optimally while children are outdoors, amongst the natural elements. I'm going to see it in action, learning amongst leaders and experts in three different countries. Early childhood professionals that perhaps started like me, with a moment of realization coupled with an intense interest, a passion, a curiosity. As Einstein said, "I'm not particularly intelligent, just passionately curious"

So thank you for joining me on this journey of discovery. I hope that you will talk to me throughout, whenever the mood hits you, and share your insights too. You may not agree with me, you may think me a bit whacky, or you may find that my thoughts and musings are something you can relate to. Let me know and then I won't feel so alone. 

If you feel in the mood to post, can you answer this "What was your favorite childhood space or place?" C'mon. Don't be shy. We mostly know each other and I don't want to be alone. 

Ok. That's it for now.. Talk tomorrow

6 comments:

  1. As a ten year old, loved spending the day on horseback galloping over 3000 acres with friends, a packed lunch and instructions, "Be home before dark." Ahhh the freedom (and no mobile phones!) Favourite game - Cowboys and Indians. Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were one lucky chick. I'd have given anything for that. My push bike was my pony. I begged mum for a real pony and she got me a goat. I called her twinkle toes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in the inner west of Sydney on the corner of a main road & a dead end street that led down to a large storm water canal. If you crossed the foot bridge over the canal there was a couple of miles of bush that ran along the other side below the cliff that over looked it. The canal & the bush tracks were highways to hideaways & short cuts to a friends house or a playing field. Grassed slopes & waxed cardboard fruit boxes provided hours of enjoyment. Bush cubby houses could be found off the paths & were a great retreat when you needed some time to think & dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must have been wonderful, such an adventure in wild spaces. The freedom we had when we were kids was a gift. No risk assessments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruth,
    Pleased to hear you made it, we share memories of willow trees! My backyard in Melbourne had two big willow trees, great for hiding and dancing among. You are visiting a number of places I have been, so will be great to share stories on April 28 in Sydney.

    Travel well, Sue Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ruth,
    I am reading your first entry one week on!! Your sentiments brought tears to my eyes. It is strange to think that we now have to study and practice how to let children be free to explore and find wonder in a natural environment. My greatest hope for you is that you can make a difference to the educational experience of children in our country. An early experience that comes to mind: playing in a giant fallen gum tree, it was our pirate ship and we were in charge. It was fallen but we worshipped it just the same! Miss youxx

    ReplyDelete