Monday 24 March 2014

I'm in a lovely bed and breakfast place in Edinburgh. At last I have arrived. Now they say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I'm hoping I'm a little stronger after surviving the last two days. A friend calculated that I had been traveling to get to this point for about 50 hours. That's a long time and I think I must have managed about 10 hours sleep max the whole time. 

Some of the challenges included: 

A hotel in Korea that had no light switches to speak of. With my phone running low on battery life (I'd left the re-charger in my bag in the belly of the aircraft) I used precious power to use it as a torch and locate the phone. The manager was obviously used to tourists who didn't know that the lights were controlled by a series of illuminated buttons in a box on the side table and patiently explained it to me. In pressing the fourth one, I had light. It doesn't sound like much of an ordeal but I was sooo tired and just wanted to collapse. But the most difficult thing about that hotel in Korea was there was no tea! There was tea but it was a traditional herbal type, which  I was grateful for but anyone who knows me knows that I need a decent cup of tea every few hours, especially before going to bed.

My overnight stay in Korea gave me cause to reflect on what it's like to enter into a place where you are a foreigner. I was different, was unable to speak their language, read their signs or understand their method of things like lining up. I had the advantage of many provisions to make the information accessible to me, like signs translated into English and most of the people who served me spoke English. What must it be like for people when this doesn't occur? It reminded me how important it is to provide children and families with all the resources they need so that they get a sense of belonging. 

The journey from Korea to London was long and sleep alluded me. We followed the sun for 12 hours. On arriving in London I felt more comfortable because I knew I could relate as I usually do and that I would be understood. An interesting thing happened at the escalators. To get a connecting flight you need to go down a level to an underground train station that takes you to your terminal. As I was about to get on an elderly women dressed in traditional Muslim clothing hovered and put her hand out to passers by, whimpering in confusion. I instinctively gave her my hand to help her onto the escalator. She took it and moved forward with me, stumbling as the metal steps took hold of our feet and projected us forward. Well the poor women nearly collapsed in fear as the downward movement became visible. I guess it was like going over the top of a roller coaster for the first time for her. She cried out and dropped her bag and tried to get her balance as her body plunged forward. I thought I was going to lose her but I held on tight,  and a man came and took her other arm and soothed her in Arabic. It was a job to keep her upright, but we made it down and she stepped off and that was the end of it. It must have been the first time she had ever experienced such a thing. Again I reflect on how things we take for granted can be a source of enormous conflict or fear for others who haven't experienced them before. 

Well I made it to Edinburgh and only got lost once trying to find parking. I got to see a bit of the town and was thankful for the gps. I've had another four hours sleep and am ready to take on the next stage. I'm about to have some breakfast then I'm off to Crieff to visit Auchlone Nature Kindergarten, about an hour and a half drive north. I'm doing a course there for five days with Claire Warden. It's all happening. 

Till next time

Ruth


 

No comments:

Post a Comment